JK Special Scholarship Scheme:
Students face difficulties, appeal to GoC Chinar Corps to resolve matter in their interest
Srinagar, Aug 7, KNT: Examination for under and post-graduate courses under the Jammu Kashmir Special Scholarship Scheme for the students is going to be held on 9 August this month, however, much chagrin to the students, this year, vacancies have been reduced from 700 to 100.
Jammu Kashmir Special Scholarship Scheme has been started by Indian Army under the Sadbhavana project for the students of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladkah, which had become very popular among students.
Under the scheme, various students get an opportunity to study at various Universities across the country.
This year, however, not only vacancies have been reduced but the online mode has also been shifted to offline mode. Students have been asked to appear in the examination in offline mode, unlike the previous years. Besides, only 3 examination centres have been designated for the Valley students.
“Students from far flung areas had shown keen interest and were reaping benefits under this scheme, however, this year things have been made complicated. Students especially girls from far-flung areas like Gurez, Keran will have to appear at examination centres far off from their native places. Despite our request to top brass, nothing changed in the interest of students,” a couple of parents told the news agency Kashmir News Trust.
Over 12000 students have submitted their forms despite facing difficulties. Now they are worried as to how will they appear in offline mode. Parents are worried that the kids particularly girls will face difficulties in coming to examination centers from far-off places as they will have to stay overnight. A student of Baramullah has to go to Banihal to appear in the exam under this scheme.
Parents said that for the last two years, everything under this scheme had been organized in a fair and transparent manner. “Registration and entrance tests were online and aspirants used to appear for exams even using their mobile phones. As a result students from far-off places easily used to appear. A large number of girls could also appear and make it. Proper information was being shared through SMS, WhatsApp, mail, and cell phones. Everything has changed this year,” they said adding that students are disappointed with the way this scheme has been handled this year.
Parents said that they had pitched for the increase of vacancies and even had requested to create more examination centres but all their pleas have gone in vain.
“On our behalf, DDCs and local leaders even met GoC Chinar Corps and Army Commander Northern Command, but we feel it was a hopeless exercise and now we are left with no option but to again approach local leaders for the resolution of issues being faced by students,” they said and appealed to GoC Chinar Corps to look into the matter. [KNT]