Navigating Challenges on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway: A Traffic Advisory
The Jammu-Srinagar National Highway (NHW-44) plays a crucial role in connecting the two regions of Jammu and Kashmir, providing a lifeline for both civilian and security force movement. However, recent challenges, including road damage, breakdowns, and adverse weather conditions, have prompted the Traffic Police Headquarters to issue advisories for commuters. In this article, we will discuss the recent developments and provide insights into the traffic plan and advisory for the coming days.
Recent Obstacles and Traffic Disruptions:
On 29th January 2024, the NHW-44 faced disruptions primarily due to a damaged road at Hingni, Ramsoo, resulting in a blockage for 1 hour and 4 minutes. Additionally, slow movement was observed at various points due to breakdowns of Heavy Motor Vehicles (HMVs) and poor road conditions. Single-lane traffic was reported at specific locations, contributing to delays for commuters.
Advisories for Commuters:
1. Daytime Travel Preference: Passengers and Light Motor Vehicle (LMV) operators are strongly advised to prefer daytime travel on Jammu-Srinagar NHW. Nighttime journeys are discouraged due to the potential risk of shooting stones between Ramban and Banihal.
2. HMVs Guidelines: Owners and operators of Heavy Motor Vehicles are requested to avoid overloading, ensure sufficient fuel for the journey, and double-check the fitness of their vehicles. Only HMVs with 06 and 10 tyres are permitted to ply through Dhar road.
Traffic Plan for 31st January 2024:
Assuming fair weather and good road conditions, the Traffic Police Headquarters has outlined the following plan:
– LMVs, Passenger/Private Cars, HMVs, and Load Carriers will be allowed from both sides on Jammu-Srinagar NHW.
– Lane discipline is emphasized for all commuters.
Security Forces Convoy Movement:
Security Forces vehicles will be permitted from both sides on Jammu-Srinagar NHW, highlighting the strategic importance of the highway for the region’s security.
Road Blockages on Alternative Routes:
1. SSG Road: The Srinagar-Sonamarg-Gumri road is blocked due to snow accumulation.
2. Mughal Road: Persistent snow accumulation has resulted in the continued closure of the Mughal Road.
Advisory for Travelers:
To ensure a safe journey, people are urged to confirm the status of NHW-44 by contacting the respective Traffic Control Units in Jammu, Srinagar, Ramban, Udhampur, and PCR Kishtwar. Contact information is provided, including helpline numbers for immediate assistance.
The challenges faced on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway necessitate careful planning and adherence to advisories. As travelers navigate through this vital artery, cooperation with traffic regulations and regular updates from authorities will contribute to a smoother and safer journey for all.